What will happen if you get caught?
The consequences of a drug drive conviction are devastating and far reaching. The penalties are the same as for drink driving.
They will receive:
- A minimum 12-month driving ban
- A criminal record
- A fine of up to £5000
- There will be a specific record on the driving licence for eleven years that details a conviction for drug driving
- If the driver is convicted of causing death by dangerous driving, they will receive a prison sentence of up to fourteen years
- If they drive for work their employer will see the conviction when they have to produce their licence
- Car insurance will increase significantly
- Any drug-related conviction may mean encountering difficulties getting permission to enter countries such as the USA
Listen to Sgt. Jim McTiernan to hear more
Transcript for Sgt. Jim McTiernan clip (.doc, 22KB)